District office is currently not open to walk-ins.
- The district lobby is currently closed to the public in an effort to reduce the risk and spread of COVID-19.
- Visitors remain in your vehicle and call (512) 268-2305 for assistance.
- We encourage you to use online methods to conduct business with us.
- Use Property Search to find information about your property record.
- File a Homestead Exemption or Agricultural Use application, Business Personal Property Rendition or Change of Address Request using the Online Forms icon at the top right of our homepage.
- Contact us at [email protected] with questions.
- For your convenience there is a drop box at our front door. If you are dropping off please wear a mask and abide by distancing guidelines.
Property Tax Payments are handled by the Hays County Tax Office
Information on vehicle registrations and property tax payments can be found at the tax office website https://hayscountytx.com/departments/taxoffice/ or you can reach their office at (512) 393-5545.
No Contact Protest Hearings
In an effort to reduce the risk and spread of COVID-19 the Appraisal Review Board (ARB) is now offering video conference hearings (terms, requirements and agreements apply). Go to https://www.hayscad.com/protest-info/ for more information on how to request a video hearing (must have a valid 2020 protest on file).
Homestead Designation is not the same as a Homestead Exemption
There is no cost or fee associated with filing a residential homestead exemption application with any appraisal district. You can file online by clicking Online Forms at the top of this page or by accessing an application under the Forms tab and submitting to our office. Please contact us if you have questions about homestead.
Property Taxpayer Remedies
The “Property Taxpayer Remedies” is a publication prepared by the Property Tax Division of the Texas Comptroller’s Office. This public information brochure is intended to provide the taxpayer with an overview of the process for determining ad valorem assessments and outlines remedies available to the public regarding their property tax assessments. This brochure is available in different formats from our office. You can view or download the document online, or have a brochure mailed to you by calling our office at 512-268-2522 and requesting a copy of the “Property Taxpayer Remedies”.
For additional general information on property tax administration you can check out our Frequently Asked Questions page or watch the video below.
Texas Property Tax System Overview
Click the link to watch video:
We hope that you find the information on these pages useful and informative. Our office develops and administers property records and provides appraisal roll services to the taxing jurisdictions located in Hays County. Our main goal is to provide professional, respectful and courteous service to the public and our entities while producing an accurate, complete and equitable appraisal roll in a timely manner. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can provide assistance to you.
Click on the button below to view links to Hays CAD’s most requested data, reports and Public Information Requests.Data Downloads
Every effort has been made to offer the most current and correct information possible on these pages. The information included on these pages has been compiled by staff from a variety of sources, and is subject to change without notice. The Hays Central Appraisal District provides this information “as is” without warranty of any kind. This data could include typographical errors or other inaccuracies. The District is not responsible for any errors or omissions.
- HEIR PROPERTY COMMUNITY GUIDE
- PROPERTY TAX TRANSPARENCY-Details about your Taxes
- VIDEO HEARINGS NOW AVAILABLE
- ATTENTION PROPERTY OWNERS
- HB 1313 Disable Person Surviving Spouse
- Hays Co. Tax Ceiling for Age 65 plus and Disabled Residents
- Property Tax Benefits and Information
- HCAD Appraisers in the field inspecting properties beginning in October 2020 through March 2021